Monday, January 4, 2010

DeLeon Springs 1/2 Marathon

1:44:35, PR'd by 13 minutes, placed 2nd in my age group!

What a great cold morning! I awoke at 4:20am to leave the house by 5am, to get to DeLeon Springs, race started at 8am. It was in the 20s when I woke up, so even though I like my runs cold, this was a bit too cold for the ideal Kim weather. But, nevertheless I arrived around 7am and shivered my way over to pick up my number and shirt and stand in the bathroom line.

It was a small race, only 167 runners for the 1/2 Marathon. A simple out and back course on a rural road. It was cheap, flat and semi-local, so it was great!

I started the first mile "slow" and then gave myself the liberty to speed up. From the first .10 mile I noticed an intense arch pain in my right foot. If you had asked me at mile 1 if I thought I was going to be able to complete the race I would have said no. But, I took 1 mile at a time, and it hurt like hell the whole way. What was it? Who really knows, I've never felt that pain before, not even slightly, but my suspicion is that it had something to do with the massage I got on Wednesday. Wendy (my massage therapist) worked on that particular foot for awhile, she said it was starting to buckle. My guess is something was loosened and wasn't prepared for an intense run. It's still sore today, but I'm hoping this week of running it will resolve itself.

So, I know in certain circles PRIDE is almost like a four letter word (even though it's five). But, I'm not ashamed to say that I'm proud of myself. I know I couldn't do any of this without the gift of my body, my health, and my husband, but I still have worked really hard to improve this quickly. It's been really fun overall, but there are still some days where I flat out just don't want to put on those darn running shoes. But running a sub 8:00 min/mile pace for a 1/2 marathon and feeling good doing it (minus the foot thing) makes it all worth it!

I just can't believe that this Boston Qualifying goal is actually reachable, like realistically reachable. It's moved from a maybe someday way far off to really really close.

No comments: