Thursday, March 4, 2010

50+ Mile Weeks

I'm presently trying to enjoy the down time of my Recovery Week. Last week I logged 56 miles. It started off with a 23 mile run on Saturday, which went really, really well. I logged 1 mile solo, 10 miles with the FTC Boston gals, and 12 with the rest of the Saturday morning FTC group. Kept my overall pace under 8:30, and it felt extremely comfortable. I even got this amazing 2nd wind at around mile 20, big confidence booster! The next week went well too, I was surprisingly full of energy despite the near marathon on Saturday 2/20.

Last Saturday was my big birthday run. My big 30th birthday was Friday and I went out to dinner with Jacque, Diana, Chrissy, Megan, Sam, Bill & Tyler. Saturday Tyler and woke up early, got out of our freezing cold tent (yes we camped out in the yard), and went to meet up with the brave FTC souls. I felt so honored that Han, West, Albert, Diane, Gaye, Mark & Albert's son Andrew came out and logistically conquered our Hawthorne Trail day! It was really cold and rainy, quite unpleasant weather wise, but we still had a great time. Some people did 8 miles, some 12 and then we did 16.5ish.

During the run I noticed a little tightness in my left knee, but didn't think much of it. By the time Saturday night rolled around and the birthday party was hoppin' out here on the Moore farm, my knee was feeling rough. Sunday I was a bit worried, glad it was a zero mile day.

Monday I ran in my new Vibram Five Fingers shoes, knee felt really good actually. Tuesday morning I woke up and it was pretty bad, chose to forgo my 60 min tempo run and log a big fat 0 instead. Wednesday I ran 30 minutes and it was pretty painful for the first mile but then felt really really good, and felt good the rest of the day. Thursday (today) I woke up with pain again, grrr... Ran anyway, did 50 min. The first mile was rough but felt really good after that. Apparently it feels great when I'm running and for hours after, dang tendons! My guess is tendinitis, but ice actually makes it feel worse, so who knows!

I'm hoping it goes away soon, although I'm grateful that running feels better than walking! This came out of nowhere, I've never had pain in this area before and with very little warning on top of it. My guess is that it might have something to do with the 8.5 mile trail run I did last week, maybe used some muscles differently than I have in awhile, that combined with the 56 miles that week. Hey, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right!?

Here's to healing quickly!

4 comments:

Jessica Harris Telligman said...

IT BAND PERHAPS

Kim said...

Hey Jess! Actually the pain was in the inside of the knee, so not IT stuff. It's totally gone now, my guess it was something that flared up after running on a soft trail, since I've not done that in a long time. Knock on wood it didn't bother me at all Sunday on my 23 miler, hope it's gone for good!

Annemarie said...

Hey Kim...way to go on the long run and the Yasso's. I did 8 yasso's last night...i love that workout!! Careful with the 5 fingers...look so cool tho.

Kim said...

Good job Annemarie! I hate 800s, just for the record! But, I guess they are necessary. I'm using the vibrams about once a week, just on the small runs. I like them but probably won't really venture into pseudo barefoot running till after Vancouver.