Thursday, December 10, 2009

Boston Baby!

I've decided to start up blogging again, to document the highs and lows of Qualifying for the Boston Marathon.

The training plan that I've adopted is from Coach Bruce, affiliated with the Royal Victoria Marathon. Weeks 1-12 are Aerobic Conditioning Training, weeks 13-16 are Aerobic Capacity Training, weeks 17-20 are Marathon Specific Training and weeks 21-23 is the Sharpening and Tapering Phase.

So, why am I doing this? It's always been an idea that seemed so ridiculous, that it is alluring. I always thought of a Boston Qualifier as being a "real runner". When I did a small series of races, called the Tour de Pain in Jacksonville this past summer I realized that I, given the right training, I could at least TRY. I ran a 1 mile run during that series in 7:12. Yeah, I couldn't have kept that pace up for more than the mile... but, if it's possible to run fast for a mile it's possible to run fast for 26.2 miles. Not long after that weekend I went for a casual run in Satellite Beach and borrowed my mom's GPS watch. I did 6 miles at a sub 9 min/mile pace and felt pretty good, that was when I knew I had to push my doubt aside and go all in.

There are moments, right now about 1 run per week, where I think I'm just plain stupid for thinking I can keep a 8:24 min/mile pace for a marathon. But, then I remind myself that I'm only in week 1 or 2 or 3 and I feel encouraged.

My friend Tyler (more on him later) recently told me that "One of the things I’ve had to learn, especially as I’ve increased speed and mileage, is how to push myself through those times where you’re struggling physically and mentally. You’re probably going to have more of those than you’re used to, but you will always get through them." Bottom line... this is going to be hard. Why else would it be such a lifelong running goal if it wasn't?

Nancy told me the other day, after I emotionally blabbed on and on about my disappointing half marathon I did recently (see next post), that I should keep a journal. So this is what this is, a journal about my emotional, physical, and mental journey. There is a link listed on my blog that has all my runs and details regarding them, so I won't spend too much time doing that here.

I hope at the end of this training, which leads up to the Vancouver Marathon in May, that Laura and I will have qualified for Boston. If not, then it will still be one hell of a ride... or better yet... run!

No comments: