Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Toe Drama

Apparently most runners experience toenail issues at some point in time. I was reading online and someone wrote "Getting your first one is a sign that you've moved your training into a higher level", well congratulations to me!

My two toes, the ones next to my big toes, started becoming sensitive after the OUC 1/2 Marathon. It wasn't unbearable so I kept running as usual, but did change out my shoes. After this last weekend's long run I announced to Tyler that I was definitely going to be losing some toenails.

Monday night I ran a great fast run in Haile, fastest 6.2 miles ever. There was some off road trail action, and I think this might have pushed the one toe over the edge. Monday night I could barely walk. Tuesday I hobbled around town doing errands and yet was determined to run Tuesday night (my schedule is 6 days of running this week, so a break isn't in the cards). So, I got to the UF track to do some fartlek before running with the Florida Track Club, and taped my toe all to heck.

I told Tyler "you know you are a real athlete when you start taping your toenail to your toe in order to keep running." The pain was so intense I seriously doubted this level of commitment. But, I started very slow and pushed through the pain, I think it became easier to run than walk. I was able to maintain my 8 min mile pace, which made me feel tough!

Last night I was seriously considering calling the doctor today, but this morning I woke up and it feels surprisingly good. Not normal, but not make me cry kind of painful. I think that having to pull off all my taping last night might have in some way lifted the toenail just enough that it reduced some pressure in the toe? Who knows but I'll take it!

No comments: