Saturday, February 9, 2008

11 in the woods

Today Megan and I successfully ran 11 miles in the woods. We ran a couple of unpaved trails in San Felasco State Preserve, which is by far the most beautiful place to run in Gainesville, Florida. It saddens me that I failed to bring my camera, yet again, I need to get better at chronicling our runs with pictures.

The run was beautiful and uneventful. There were a group of TriGators (the Triathlon Team for the University of Florida), who are always friendly and always fast. I think they passed us three times during our run, and I'm sure they were covering many more miles than we. I'm glad athletes out there exist, those that run faster than I ever will and who never seem to break a sweat. Takes a lot of pressure off leisurely runners like me and my friends, we can just enjoy the run and never worry about if we are the fastest that day, or any day. It is quite freeing to run for fun and not competition.

The downside of today is that my right knee which has been starting to bother me this week, is officially hurting. I'm sure it is just another bout of tendinitis, which seems to be my injury of choice, so I know I'll get through it but it will be a bit of a pain in the meantime. Ice and Ibuprofen, cause I'm not very good at resting, never was a good tendinitis patient.

We are spoiled with picture perfect Florida winter weather the past few days. 40s (Fahrenheit) at night 70s during the day, as Megan said today... it is the kind of weather people decide to live in Florida for. Good to be a runner on days like today.

Tomorrow is my day of rest, then back to the pavement on Monday... until then...

No comments: