Thursday, February 14, 2008

Day of rest?

Well, today I should be doing speedwork, but it is Valentine's Day and Bill has worked the past two days but is off today(he is a nurse so when he works it is a 13 hour day), so I'm thinking it might be a day of rest. Perhaps tomorrow I'll find the time for speedwork.

Last night was a great run with my running buddy Jacque. Jacque is a great friend and trained with me during my first marathon training. We did 6 miles and tried to find as many hills in Gainesville as possible on a 6 mile run.

This morning was a very sad morning for me and fellow gardeners/farmers. Last night we were supposed to get temperatures in the mid 30s (Fahrenheit), so no real freeze warning. Well, this morning everything was covered in thick ice. We apparently got into the 20s. Which I know isn't that cold compared with other places, but when your in Florida and the last freeze date is only 2 weeks away, you expect to have a warning of a hard freeze. My passion, other than running, is veggies, and I lost about 100 new veggie plants. It will be okay, I'll replant tomorrow, but some of my friends weren't so lucky, which goes to show that this freeze was a sneak attack.

But, if I didn't garden I would be thrilled at this cold snap and crisp air. Today though, I'll morn my little plants and be reminded again of what can happen when we try and out smart mother nature. After all, the books say the last frost date is March 5th, and it isn't March yet, so I have to let mother nature win this one.

2 comments:

Jonathan Lipps said...

Hi Kim!

Greetings from Tumaini. We're sad to hear about your plants--and many of the kids here know what you mean, being very agriculturally-oriented. Of course, it doesn't get to freezing here.

It's the night before our longest pre-marathon training run. Tomorrow morning at 6am, we're getting up to run about 32 kilometers, or almost 20 miles. The terrain here is a bit different from Gainesville--dirt and rock roads, at about 6,000 feet of elevation. And hilly--on a run like tomorrow's we'll accumulate about 2,500 feet of elevation gain! Needless to say, it's not going to be speedwork.

Good luck with your continued training, and so some Gainesville hills in our memory!

-Us at Tumaini

PS (from Jonathan) I lived in Orlando for a while, and my brother and many friends went to UF, so I've been to Gainesville quite a few times. I've even been on a few runs there!

Kim said...

Oh wow! The 20 mile run! How exciting. 2,500 ft in elevation, that is impressive! How many of you guys are running in the marathon? Which marathon are you guys running?

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow on our long run (we are only up to 12 miles right now). I hope to finally put up a picture of me and my running buddies after our run tomorrow. I also plan on replanting my veggies this weekend, not in the ground but in transplanting trays just in case we get one more freeze.

Thanks for keeping me posted!

Jonathan, I lived in Orlando for awhile too. I actually went to UCF and then lived there for a few years after I went to grad school at UF, small world!!