Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ocala run and good food

Last night was a great run. I went down to Ocala, FL (about 40 minutes south of Gainesville) to meet Megan after work to run 7.5 miles. Even though Megan lives in Gainesville, she works for the Marion County Court System in Ocala. So, to change our scenery and squeeze in a longer run before dark, Bill and I drove down.

The miles really flew by, I love running with Megan because of our great friendship and her sneaky talent of talking through any hills we encounter, to make sure we are adequately distracted. The nearly 8 miles felt like half that, and to finish our visit in Ocala, we treated ourselves to Thai food, which was gloriously sinful.

It's funny how in America we crave foods that our not our own, and then when we travel outside our country we come back hungering for those foods we call American. Is that normal I wonder? Or is that a symptom of Americanism? Like the saying the grass is always greener on the other side, did we make that one up?

As I write about my experience last night, I wonder what the kids at Tumaini ate for dinner? What can you buy at the markets right now? What is growing in February in Kenya? I hope it is every bit as delicious as our little Thai meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey kim--Lara here! Sadly not a tumaini-ite currently. But I know they're having some internet problems, so I figured I could answer some food questions! Nyeri is pretty temperate so they have the same growing pretty much year round--mainly beans and maize. The kids at tumaini eat basically three meals in rotation through the week--githeri (rice, beans and maize mixed up) ugali and beans (a maize polenta-type thing with beans) and rice and beans. Variety is not their strong suit, but the meal is well balanced, and the kids eat more of it than you could ever imagine. i'm not kidding--a nine year old puts away an amount I would consider appropriate for a college football player. Your runs sound amazing, and I am recovering from the flu and you are encouraging me to get back out there!

Kim said...

Thanks Lara for the insight! Are you in the states currently? How is the 777 fundraising going?